PDF Imprimir

EUA fazem manual para atletas aprenderem inglês em Londres 2012

Os Estados Unidos falam inglês. A Inglaterra, claro, também fala inglês. Mas não é que a delegação norte-americana decidiu criar um manual com traduçíµes de palavras e expressíµes tipicamente britânicas para seus atletas em Londres 2012.

A ideia do comitê norte-americano é evitar confusíµes e situaçíµes constrangedoras com sua delegação na Terra da Rainha. Uma atitude, no mí­nimo, curiosa já que os dois paí­ses afinal falam a mesma lí­ngua. Aproximadamente 250 mil atletas americanos devem disputar a Olimpí­ada.

Seria como se a delegação portuguesa trouxesse um tradutor-intérprete para Rio 2016.  Uma ou outra expressão tem realmente outro significado, mas nada que a convivência não dê conta de acertar por si mesma.


An American guide to British English for the London Olympics

Alguns trechos


Those are "chips" that go with your burger, instead of fries. You'd like some potato chips? Those are "crisps."

A soft drink or soda? That would be a "fizzy drink." A soft drink can refer to any nonalcoholic beverage. If you want the hard stuff, go to the "off-license" rather than a liquor store.

If the waiter asks if you'd like "pudding," he's referring to dessert in general, not necessarily the soft treat that Bill Cosby once pitched in TV ads. By the way, if you see "black pudding" or "blood pudding" on the menu -- well, that's not dessert at all. It's sausage.

A "cracker" isn't only what you put cheese on. It's also a very good thing, as in "That goal was a cracker!" It can be an adjective, too: "London will put on a cracking opening ceremony."



Let's talk "sport." That's singular in Britain, not like sports in the U.S.

Those "blokes" (guys) hawking 100-meter final tickets? They're not scalpers, they're "ticket touts." Incidentally, if you can't get any tickets, you can always watch on "telly" where the commercials are called "adverts."

You'll definitely do a lot of "queuing" (waiting in line), especially at Olympic venues for security checks. Whatever you do, don't "jump the queue."

Going to watch the finish of the marathon or cycling road race? Yes, the venue is the "Mall." No, that's not a shopping center. It's that iconic boulevard leading from Buckingham Palace to Trafalgar Square. And, it's pronounced the "mal."

Headed to the Olympic Stadium to watch track and field? The preferred term in England is "athletics."

Of course, soccer is "football." The sport is played on a pitch, rather than a field. A player might kick the ball into the "stand," rather than stands -- and there definitely are no bleachers. Players wear "shirts," not jerseys, and "boots," not cleats, and their uniform is called their "kit."



Londoners don't walk on the sidewalk. They walk on the "pavement."

That crosswalk? It's a "zebra crossing" (pronounced zeh-bra, not zee-bra).

The best way to travel around the city during the Olympics will be by the "Underground," the rail network commonly known as the "Tube." It's not the "subway" -- that's a pedestrian underpass.

Tube trains have "carriages," not cars. When you get on or off the Tube, don't forget to "mind the gap" between the platform and the train.



Anything to do with cars can be oh-so confusing -- and not just because you drive on the left side of the road here.

London's roads are full of maddening traffic "roundabouts," not circles or rotaries.

The hood and the trunk? No, no. That's the "bonnet" and the "boot." The windshield is the "windscreen," side-view mirrors are "wing mirrors," the stick shift is the "gear stick."

A highway is a "motorway." You park in the "car park."



You take "the lift," not the elevator.

That little corner store where you can buy newspapers and magazines and snacks? It's usually called a "newsagent."

Looking for a trash can? Try a "rubbish bin" instead.

Thumbtacks don't exist; they're "drawing pins."



If someone is feeling "chuffed," don't worry. That means they're delighted, as in, "I'm chuffed to bits that I got tickets for the closing ceremony."

If someone says they're "gutted," it has nothing to do with fish. They're just bitterly disappointed, as in the British Olympic sprinter who's "gutted" after failing to qualify for the 200-meter final. By contrast, he'll be "over the moon" if he makes it.

You'll hear "Cheers" a lot, and not just in the pub. It's a term for thank you. So is "Ta."



Some words take on a totally different, even opposite, meaning in the two countries.

"Torrid" is a prime example -- positive in American sports, negative in Britain.

In the U.S., if Kobe Bryant goes on a torrid run in the fourth quarter, he's scoring a bunch of points. In England, if Chelsea striker Fernando Torres is having a torrid season, he can't put the ball in the net.



The lexicon for clothing can be a minefield.

Be particularly careful when you talk about "pants." In Britain, that refers to underwear. Trousers is the more appropriate term. (Pants can also be an adjective, meaning bad or lousy, as in "That film was pants.")

Suspenders don't hold up trousers; "braces" do. In British English, "suspenders" are what Americans call a garter belt.



For those cool evenings, pack a "jumper," as opposed to a sweater. Or a jacket called an "anorak." But note: "anorak" is also a somewhat derogatory term for a nerdy, obsessive person.

And, finally, with London's rainy reputation in mind, don't forget to carry an umbrella.

Yes, if there's one phrase worth remembering, it's this:

Bring a brolly.

Fonte2: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/04/huh_us_and_british_english_to.html


Adicionar comentário

Este texto te ajudou em alguma coisa? Quer contribuir com mais informações? Tem algum erro e quer sinalizar? Então escreva no formulário abaixo.

foto do autor

Graduado em Informática com Ênfase em Gestão de Negócios na FATEC/ZL e não em Letras também (que pena!).

Amante da Língua Inglesa e Interessado em entrar na Jerusalém Celestial e ver um mundo com Tradução Automática.

Código de segurança


0 #5 curso de ingles 11-04-2012 12:19
olá, Francisco, bom dia. Eu também queria ver, mas ainda não encontrei na net. Trata-se de um curso de inglês britânico dirigido para os atletas americanos.

Citando francisco jhonatan gornyer monteiro oliveira:
gostaria de saber sobre o curso oferecido pelo governo de ingles.
0 #4 francisco jhonatan gornyer monteiro oliveira 11-04-2012 10:35
gostaria de saber sobre o curso oferecido pelo governo de ingles.
Nós temos 365 visitantes online